Article 22, paragraph 1 states that the Conference of the Parties shall evaluate the effectiveness of this Convention, beginning no later than six years after the date of entry into force of the Convention and periodically thereafter at intervals to be decided by it.
At COP-4.1, the Conference of the Parties agreed to holding intersessional consultations on the framework for evaluating the effectiveness of the Convention, and that the Secretariat would invite written comments on the framework in preparation for further discussions to give full effect to Article 22 at COP-4.2.
In this Online Information Session, the Secretariat will inform on the work to give effect to Article 22, the progress made thus far and the remaining areas of work. The Information Session is intended to help Parties in preparation of their written comments.
Written comments are to be submitted by Thursday, 20 January 2022.
- MC/ES/2021/108 - Executive Communication
- UNEP/MC/COP.4/18 - Giving effect to article 22: effectiveness evaluation
- UNEP/MC/COP.4/CRP.1 - A framework for the first Effectiveness Evaluation of the Minamata Convention on Mercury
Minamata Convention Secretariat:
- Monika Stankiewicz, Executive Secretary
- Claudia ten Have, Senior Policy and Coordination Officer
- Eisaku Toda, Senior Programme Manager Officer
- Manoela Pessoa de Miranda, Programme Manager Officer
- Full presentation
- Full video recording of the event below