The Specific International Programme to support Capacity Building and Technical Assistance (SIP) is one of the two components of the financial mechanism of the Minamata Convention on Mercury, together with the Global Environment Facility (GEF). It was defined by Article 13 of the Convention, and in 2017 the First Conference of the Parties (COP-1) decided on its duration and the arrangements for its operation (Decision MC-1/6). As requested by decision MC-1/6, UNEP established the Specific Trust Fund, effective 1 January 2018, to receive funds for the SIP.
First round: The first five projects approved (2018)
SIP projects can support implementation of a range of activities from mercury waste management to phasing out mercury-added products, improving mercury inventories, developing and updating legal frameworks, developing and strengthening laboratory networks, delivering trainings and raising awareness on the impact of mercury on human health and the environment.
The Governing Board of the Specific International Programme met in Oslo from 2-3 October 2018 to review applications to its First Round. Please read the statement by the Co-Chairs, Mr. Sam Adu-Kumi and Mr. Reggie Hernaus. Visit the Governing Board meeting's photo gallery here (you will need to be logged in with your Flickr account)
5 Projects Selected by the Governing Board for the First Round
- Argentina: Capacity Building Programme for the implementation of the Minamata Convention. Read more about the project here. Read the final report here.
- Armenia: Strengthening capacity to promote phasing-out of mercury-added products (lamps) in Armenia. Read more about the project here.
- Benin: Improvement of management framework for mercury-containing products and wastes. Read more about the project here.
- Iran: Implementing of Minamata Convention on Mercury Management in Chlor-Alkali Plants in the Petrochemical Industry. Read more about the project here. Read the terminal review here.
- Lesotho: Strengthening institutional capacity in the development of a phase-out and phase down strategy for mercury-added products in Lesotho. Read more about the project here. Read the final report here.
Contributors to the Specific Trust Fund (2018)