Second meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Minamata Convention on Mercury (COP-2)
Geneva, Switzerland, 19 Nov 2018 - 23 Nov 2018
The second meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Minamata Convention on Mercury (COP2) took place from 19 to 23 November 2018 at the International Conference Centre in Geneva, Switzerland.
The Conference was preceded on Sunday 18 November by preparatory meetings, including regional and other meetings.
Following COP2, the secretariat contacted parties and stakeholders inviting submissions as well as nomination of experts for the intersessional processes. The follow up letter is available here.
- The daily coverage and summary report by Earth Negotiations Bulletin are available on the IISD webpage at: http://enb.iisd.org/mercury/cop2/
- Submissions from Governments and interested stakeholders for consideration at COP2 are available here
Intersessional work and Submissions for COP2
Draft guidelines on the interim storage of mercury and mercury compounds
In accordance with Decision MC1/18, the secretariat, in consultation with relevant experts, including technical experts from the Basel Convention, has revised the draft guidelines on the interim storage of mercury and mercury compounds.
The revised draft guidelines are now made available for comment. Comments should be submitted to the secretariat at mea-minamatasecretariat [at] un.org.
Comments submitted by 20 June 2018 were taken into account in developing the document UNEP/MC/COP.2/5, presented to the second meeting of the Conference of the Parties for its further consideration and possible adoption (available from the COP2 webpage). The draft guidelines with tracked changes is available here.
Arrangements for providing the Conference of the Parties with comparable monitoring data, and elements of an effectiveness evaluation framework under Article 22
In accordance with Decision MC 1/9 the ad hoc group of experts on the arrangements for providing the Conference of the Parties with comparable monitoring data, and elements of an effectiveness evaluation framework under Article 22 met, from 5 - 9 March 2018, in Ottawa Canada.
The ad hoc group of experts developed a draft report, including the outline, plan and elements of the effectiveness evaluation framework.
The Secretariat invited all stakeholders to provide comments on the draft report. Comments received are made available below.
Submissions from governments
- China - Summary and track changes
- EU and its Member States
- United States of America - Summary and track changes
Submissions from other organizations
Submissions for COP2 based on
request for further work made at COP1
During COP1, the secretariat was asked to seek input from Governments and a range of other interested stakeholders on a number of issues to be considered further at COP2. The submissions received in relation to article 9, article 14 and open burning are made available below.
Submissions from Governments
- Japan on article 9 and on article 14
- Moldova on open burning (calculation sheets in Excel)
- Nigeria on article 14 and open burning
- Norway on article 9
UnitedStates of America on article 9 and on article 14
- Late submission from Colombia on article 14
Submissions from other organizations
- International POPs Elimination Network (IPEN) on article 14 and open burning
- UNITAR on open burning
- Zero Mercury Working Group (ZMWG) on article 14
Submissions from the Basel and Stockholm Conventions regional centres
The below submissions from the Basel Convention Regional and Coordinating Centres and the Stockholm Convention Regional and Subregional Centres are part of the collection of information requested through decision MC-1/21 to the secretariat during COP1.
- Basel and Stockholm Conventions Regional Centre in Algeria
- Basel Convention Regional Centre in Argentina
- Basel and Stockholm Conventions Regional Centre in Brazil
- Basel and Stockholm Conventions Regional Centre in China
- Stockholm Convention Regional Centre in Czech Republic
- Basel and Stockholm Convention Regional Centre in Indonesia
- Basel and Stockholm Conventions Regional Centre in Senegal
- Basel and Stockholm Conventions Regional Centre in Slovakia
- Basel Convention Regional Centre in Trinidad and Tobago
- Basel Convention Coordinating Centre and Stockholm Convention Regional Centre in Uruguay